Thursday, January 13, 2011

Truth & Love & Memorization

Since I have probably discussed these topics in prior postings I'll spare you the song & dance. It's just that the Lord is laying these themes on my heart again. Emphasizing truth (the word of God cf. John 17:17) without love leads to dessicated doctrinal arguments, and oftentimes, condescending elitism ("I know what the Bible says, and you don't.) Emphasizing love without truth tends to lead to moral anarchy. The Bible shows a balance between the two. Ephesians 4:15 says we are to "speak the truth in love." "I rejoiced greatly to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as we were commanded by the Father. And now I ask you, dear lady-- not as though I were writing you a new commandment, but the one we have had from the beginning--that we love one another." (2 John 4-5 ESV) "Love rejoices with the truth." (1 Cor. 13:8)
Over the past twenty years I have probably spoken to a hundred individuals or groups, urging, appealing, suggesting that they consider memorizing portions of the Word of God. Where do I get this idea? "I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you." (Ps. 119:11) "Incline your ear, and hear the words of the wise, and apply your heart to my knowledge, for it will be pleasant if you keep them within you, if all of them are ready on your lips." (Prov. 22:17-18) How did Jesus respond to the devil's temptations in the wilderness after fasting forty days? "It is written. Cf. Verse 4,7 & 10. Each time Jesus responded with memorized Scripture.
One I am currently working on is Jude 20-21. "But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life."

No comments:

Post a Comment