Friday, February 10, 2012

Passing On

This week i learned of the death of a brother named Tony whom I knew from the Jesus People days of the 1970's, and whom I had last seen and spoken to in October of 2009. He was almost exactly fourteen years older than I. Now he is in a far better place than this where he can see Jesus face to face. "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." ( 1 Corinthians 13:12 NIV)
One of the greatest opportunities and blessings that we have in this life is to begin knowing Jesus. As Paul writes in Philippians 3, "What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things." ( Phil 3:8 NIV) Knowing in this way expresses relationship as brothers, friends, and servants of Christ. But it goes beyond that to the relationship between the Bride and the Bridegroom. Yet how easy it is to have our hearts grow cold towards Him. Our outward appearance and behavior can reflect Christ yet we are drifting away. "We must pay more careful attention , therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away." (Hebrews 2:1 NIV) O God, may we return to you and yearn to know You as You know us.

1 comment: