Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Simple Principle

     By the grace of God His Word is being taught in many places all over this planet on a regular basis. Do those who listen understand their responsibility? Galatians 6:6 reads, "Let the one who is taught the word share all good things with the one who teaches." What does this mean? That if you or I are encouraged or learn something or are blessed by what we are taught, that we need to let the person doing the teaching know that. Why? For their encouragement and building in their faith.
   I have heard men who teach lament the fact that despite extensive prayer and preparation they rarely receive any response from their listeners. Just the other day I heard this again from a man who teaches the Bible clearly, accurately and comprehensively. I have also experienced this.
     Even a little encouragement goes a long way. Someone from another country wrote me last night expressing how two of my recent blog posts had impacted them. This morning i had breakfast with two children, aged eleven and five, of the family with which i stayed the night. The older asked me what kind of work that I do. After explaining that i was retired from regular work and was in full time ministry, he asked me if his dad could retire. I responded if God gave him the money to do so, and added that I live a simple life and do not spend very much money. "Oh," he said, "I remember you talking about that in church." This was about seven weeks ago yet he remembered. His five year old sister lifted up her thumb and mentioned something called the "Hand" illustration that I had shared a few weeks before. "Do you remember what the thumb represents," I asked. "Yes, obedience." ( Obeying the Word of God)
    Now I have seen this principle misapplied, especially at house church conferences. Something will teach, and one or more (always) men will approach him afterwards to argue, usually on a minor, peripheral point. The verse says to share "all good things." Some commentators assert that this include financial provision also but i think that most teachers would be delighted to know that something they said was helpful to others.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment