Tuesday, December 22, 2015

End of an Era

In 1995 I approached the pastor of the local congregation that i was in at the time and asked if i could restart a dormant men's ministry. Part of that effort was a mid week Bible study. A number of men participated. The next year i left that church due to false teaching and abuse but continued the Bible study. Over time the brothers departed one by one. However i was introduced to a brother named Bill of another church. Eventually it was only he and i for about a year and a half. He then invited two other brothers to join us. Over time others have entered and departed but the core group of four has remained until the present day. Gradually we shifted from primarily a Bible study to a support/accountability/prayer group. Over the years we have supported, exhorted, and prayed for one another in all manner of difficult life situations. I believe that all disciples of Christ need personal accountability. We have met bi-weekly to provide this on an ongoing basis. Six and a half years ago I retired and moved about two hours distance away. However, because of the rich blessing that God provided I continued to make the commute and meet with the brothers. During this time God has changed my primary focus. For two years or more i have worked with four men in discipleship. Since my return from Brazil in mid- September, God has given me six more. As I normally meet with these brothers one on one I no longer have the time and energy to keep making the four hour round trip, assuming good weather and traffic conditions. Last night i informed the brothers that i could no longer gather with them. I am blessed that God has provided another brother, a pastor from Nigeria, recently to join the group. May the living God bless these brothers as they continue seeking Him and praying with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment