Monday, April 5, 2010

Memphis

Am enjoying fellowship & the hospitality of a large group of brethren in Memphis. AS one drives in from the west (Arkansas), across the Mississippi River (quite high now) you see a large pyramid building on your left. Turns out it's vacant. Stayed with my friend M. T.'s parents one night & learned a little about the purchase & rental of foreclosed real estate & more about the Koran. (They ministered in a Muslim country for a number of years.) The next day went to a home expanded twice in order to seat all those who wish to gather there. Saw pictures & videos of mountain climbing trips in the Rockies. (14K+ feet) Excellent potential for relational bonding and interpersonal ministry. Then a barbeque in which I became the chief griller- something I've done rarely. Off to the brother's house with a new friend Stefan. The hospitality of the saints continues to amaze me. On Saturday all three of the elders took time to fellowship with me, hear my story & vision, and allow me to ask questions. Later one took me and another brother out to dinner at a Vietnamese place- no fish heads, thankfully. Forgot to mention a men's prayer meeting on Saturday, followed by a breakfast. They plied me with questions, which I attempted to answer.
Sunday gathered with approx. 150 of their group & received an invite to a picnic on the Mississippi River afterwards. All enjoyable. Fielded more questions, which I am happy to do. Hopefully the answers were beneficial. This morning took a long walk by the Botanical Gardens to work off some of the food. Unlike MO, spring has come to Memphis. People say this is the most enjoyable time of the year, in contrast to a hot humid summer. Next I go to coastal Mississippi, about 400 miles away.
Read a book on the theme of unity written by a Japanese brother several decades ago. It proves difficult to avoid emphasizing one thing over another. May we love, follow, glorify & serve our Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment