Sunday, October 9, 2011

House Church Conference

This past weekend I had the privilege of attending the 11th annual New England House Church Conference organized by our brother Matt Durning. I begin by thanking him, his wife Karen, Mike & Pam Derewianka, and their respective children for all of their hard work in putting this on. Also a thank you to Ed Caouette, the original conference organizer. Two excellent Ephesians 4:11 teachers, Steve Atkerson, and Beresford Job taught a primary and secondary track. Steve shared on NT church practice. Every year he tinkers with and adds a little more to his presentation. I was particularly struck this year with his wine/wineskins analogy in which he emphasized that without the wine ( Jesus) the wineskin was irrelevant. His best attended session dealt with heresy in house church settings, and the gradations of error, false teaching and heresy. Beresford taught a series on Biblical Truth. I only caught two sessions; I look forward to getting the audio tapes so that I can get the whole story.
About sixty adults attended. A number were from places outside New England like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and even Nova Scotia.
I continue working on Portuguese, making slow progress. "But I have trusted in your steadfast love, my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord, because he has dealt bountifully with me." ( Ps. 13:5-6 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment