Monday, July 2, 2012

Quebec Report


July 2, 2012


QUEBEC REPORT

Have just returned from my third ministry visit to Canada this year. Thank you, God for opening this door. Left early Wednesday morning, going Mass Turnpike West, New York Thruway to Syracuse, and then due north to Ottawa. As always the Berkshires were spectacular; I hope to spend some time there this summer. Passed signs for Guilderland, NY, near Albany. Oddly some of my best high school friends were from that town although I went to school about forty-five minutes away. Farmland begins just past Albany and stretches to the end of Nebraska as one drives west on I-90. You can also see something that may be the Erie Canal on your right. As I had very little Canadian currency, I tried to purchase some at American banks near the border. Unlike my successful experience in Maine, I went to four different banks and ended up with only $50.
Crossing into Canada has always been pleasant. Just before I reached the border I went over an extremely high, narrow bridge but am uncertain of the name of the water below. Although I studied French in junior high, high school, college & grad school I never became even conversational in the language although I did learn to read it. About twenty years ago read the New Testament in French three times and about twenty other books but hadn't used it since. In Quebec most signs are in French and the Brazilian friends with whom I stayed lived in French speaking areas.
Reuel, Erika and Mateus, their toddler, greeted me warmly when I arrived about 4:30. I met them originally in Brazil, several times in the U.S. & in Canada on a previous visit. We watched “Courageous” a movie by the film making church in Georgia that has also produced “Facing the Giants” and “Flywheel” among others. Each one seems better than the last. The theme centered on the responsibilities of fathers towards their children wrapped around a police thriller.
The next day we went to a beach along the river with our friend Adolpho & his daughters. Very pleasant, and I didn't burn. Adolpho gave me a tour of downtown Ottawa before picking up his wife Flavielli. (As always, I have not seen these names written down and am guessing at the spellings.) Thursday we returned to the beach (a Brazilian pastime) but it was very windy. Erika made the classic beans, rice, salad mix that I like. That evening we gathered together and had a time of worship, testimonies and prayer. I shared some Scriptures and related thoughts on the theme of persecution referenced in the previous post.
Friday we relaxed and then after dinner I drove to Montreal, about an two and a half hour journey. There Wellington, my host, greeted me. We talked and prayed together. In the morning we ate breakfast, took a walk with May, his Jack Russell terrier, and then went to lunch at a place called “The Cage aux Sports.” The wait staff spoke French, which Wellington knew but I did not. (I am limited to about 4 or 5 sentences and a few stray words.) So I explained in French that I was an American, and did not speak French. She replied (in French) that she would do her best to understand me. I caught the word “comprend” (to understand). While we ate I heard rap style music in English and heard our waitress singing along. I asked Wellington to mention this to her. She launched into an explanation (in French), which Wellington repeated in Portuguese. (Brazilians love to joke) Now my Portuguese is not much better than my French although I have about 80% reading comprehension. The gist was that she watched English language TV, sang English songs, understood English but was too timid to speak it.
That evening several Brazilian Christian families came over. I shared on the theme of glorifying God and Wellington spoke on His eternal purpose. He diagrammed on a big sheet of paper. I think I understood about half of his spoken communication. Brazilians love to talk and eat, which we did afterwards. On Sunday we hung out, I took a walk, prayed and went to dinner in the city of Montreal, located on an island in the St. Lawrence river. Andre and Camilla were our hosts, along with Davi, their toddler. We ate something resembling meatloaf, and Andre told me the fascinating story of how he and his wife had met. Left early this morning and drove about 340 miles home.

No comments:

Post a Comment