Monday, March 18, 2013

Brother's Retreat


          
This past weekend I had the pleasure of participating in a Christian men's retreat that I did not have to organize or host. Since 1993 God has given me the opportunity to coordinate at least forty small scale men's retreats. While I thank Him for the privilege, and thank the many brothers who have joined with me in them, it was nice to simply enjoy the time. Our brother Nathan did an excellent job of hosting despite this being his first brother's retreat. There were six of us in all, a blend of younger and older men, introverts and extroverts. Sanford shared a solid message on the dangers of falling away, concentrating on 2 Thessalonians 2, while I spoke on the challenge of following Jesus in discipleship.
We had times of prayer and fellowship. One brother, Mark, has a gift of asking edifying questions that others might wish to ask but don't. Late Saturday evening we watched a film by Voice of the Martyrs, about eight teenagers from the US and Australia who visited the persecuted church in an Asian country. They were decisively impacted by their experience there, so radically different from our comfortable western form of Christianity. As Sanford and I returned home I said, “We may not ever go to a place like that; at least we need to pray for and supply them with Bibles.
One situation which particularly struck the teens was the exuberant worship that they discovered among people who could be arrested, beaten and imprisoned for their faith. I have observed similar enthusiastic expression of worship in both Brazil and Ghana.

No comments:

Post a Comment