Friday, March 1, 2013

The Only Hope for the Church is Jesus

As I reflect on the events of the past two months I am struck again by how difficult it is to live in a way that is pleasing to Jesus. "So whether we are are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him." (2 Corinthians 5:9) I should not be surprised because He said, "Apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:5b) We are so feeling driven, and culturally bound. I look at the crashing and burning of home based groups in the region in which I live. I see the lack of true discipleship- the kind that turned the ancient world upside down. The only hope for the Church is Jesus.
   May the Holy Spirit give us a balanced perspective of who He is. Many people like what He says to the church of Laodicea in Revelation 3:20. "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me." What a wonderful promise. The same Jesus says in Revelation 3:19, the verse immediately preceding, "Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent." Are we willing to accept both?
   I am no longer a "house church" guy. I want to be a disciple and to disciple others.
Finished reading the Old Testament in Portuguese. Am now starting on the NT for the fourth time. Have also begun a new computer program (Pimsleur) that concentrates on speaking and listening.
    The only hope for the Church is Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment