Sunday, October 6, 2013

Rainy Saturday reflections

Once again I find that i must reduce my expectations of what people will do ( or not do) and increase my expectations of what God can or will do. I believe that this is a key to the peace that Jesus promises us. "Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do i give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." ( John 14:27 NKJV)
     Another reality that i encounter on a regular basis is the idea that general truth eliminates specific teaching. For example: "God is love." ( 1 John 4:16) . "Let him who stole steal no longer..." (Ephesians 4:28) Somehow people rationalize that it is ok to steal because God loves us. In truth both statements are valid and harmonize together. While this is an obvious example i find that people continually discard specific teaching with the God is loving or gracious saying.
    Currently i am reading a series of booklets in Portuguese  about the fundamentals of the Christian faith that are given to new converts in a large church in Brazil. Gaining understanding of how believers from a different culture do and perceive things helps me to discern what is merely cultural and not truly Biblical in my own thinking.
    I find it instructive to see how two Christians can read and study the same passage and come up with widely different understandings. May we not rely on our own human intellects and feelings but diligently seek the revelation of the Holy Spirit.
" He said to them, 'I must preach the Kingdom of God to the other cities also, because for this purpose I have been sent." )Luke 4:43)
    

No comments:

Post a Comment