Thursday, October 3, 2013

The ARA, the cross & an orphanage

     Today I finished listening to, and following along in, the Almeida Revista & Atualizada version of the New Testament in Portuguese. This is an older version with a formality of language and vocabulary which is not often encountered in every day conversation nor, apparently, used that much by Brazilian Christians in the US. I also have a newer version on audio CD as well. The renderings are far more dramatic than their counterparts in English. Over time, I have listened to the KJV, NKJV & the ESV on audio CD or cassette. In the Portuguese, a different person speaks each part in contrast to one person narration as is usual in English. The background music is louder, often disconcerting, and occasionally disturbing like a horror movie. Background music is English narration is either non existent or very subtle.
     As I recognize that the majority of my readers do not read Portuguese, and so are unable to understand the blog of my friend Samir, linked to on my home page, I'd like to give a quick summary of his 8/25 post. He is opposing the easy, false gospel of God as a Santa Claus figure who exists to bless us and give us what we desire as oppose to the true gospel of Jesus Christ, the crucified life. "But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." (Galatians 6:14) "And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires." (Galatians 5:24) "Then He said to them all, 'If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me." (Luke 9:23 NKJV)
     Recently i have been made aware of an orphanage in a Moslem majority country, poor and ravaged by war, in which live a number of children with severe physical, mental and or emotional challenges. Essentially unadoptable, these children have no toys, extremely limited food, and terrible conditions. A very small group of Christians volunteers visit, pray for and encourage these orphans. I am thankful for the opportunity to give to this need. Even the poorest in this country have incredible wealth in comparison to many people in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment