Tuesday, January 14, 2014

January 14, 2014 Reflections

   In my ongoing cruising through the Word of God, I finished reading in Exodus and started Leviticus today. (One of the best exhortations that i have ever received is to read the Bible through consecutively from Genesis to Revelation, and then keep doing it. I have done this twenty-five times in several languages, and the New Testament another thirty-five additional times and never fail to receive new insight from the inexhaustible treasure of the Word of God.)
   In chapter 36 i read something which never fails to amaze me. Craftsmen named Bezalel and Oholiab are building the sanctuary in the times of Moses. The people are bringing free will offerings of various kinds for this work (v.3) Finally these craftsmen say to Moses, "The people bring much more than enough for doing the work that the Lord has commanded to do." (v.5) The people actually had to be commanded not to give anymore.
   In chapter 40:34 I read "Then the cloud covered the tent of meeting, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle. And Moses was not able to enter the tent of meeting because the cloud settled on it, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle." (All citations ESV) Talk about the presence of the Lord.
    In Leviticus 2:13ff we read, "You shall season all your grain offerings with salt. You shall not let the salt of the covenant with your God be missing from your grain offering; with all your offerings you shall offer salt." Fascinating to see this covenant of salt required for the people of Israel.
    Finally I was thinking of the picture of the righteousness of Christ clothing His disciples and was reminded of Isaiah 61:10 which reads, "I will greatly rejoice in the Lord; my soul shall exult in my God, for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation; he has covered me with the robes of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself like a priest with a beautiful headdress, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels."

No comments:

Post a Comment