Friday, April 18, 2014

Did Jesus Compromise?

Recently someone brought my attention to Luke 9:57-62 with the comment that there are no "buts" to following Jesus. The text reads, "As they were going along the road, someone said to him, 'I will follow you wherever you go.' And Jesus said to him, 'Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.' To another he said, 'Follow me.' But he said, 'Lord, let me first go bury my father.' And Jesus said to him, 'Leave the dead to bury their own dead. But as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.' Yet another  said, I will follow you, Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home.' Jesus said to him, 'No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God." (ESV)
   Jesus isn't very tolerant or understanding or gentle here. Sometimes I wonder if Jesus were here with us in the flesh today, ministering the Word of God to us, would we receive it. Or have we made Him into our own image, a God of our own devising. Note in the passage above two references to the Kingdom of God. What is a kingdom? A place with a King. What does a king do? He rules. What do the subjects of the kingdom do? They obey. Since the founding and history of the USA is based on not having a king or nobility this is not a cultural concept here.
    Some will ask, 'Where is the love of God in this?" God demonstrated His love decisively on the cross. "In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be a propitiation for our sins." ( 1 John 4:10 ESV) John writes in chapter 2, "Whoever keeps his word, in him  truly the love of God is perfected." ( v.5)
   Returning to Luke 9, Jesus says, "And he said to all, 'If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it." ( 9:23-24 ESV)
     Did Jesus compromise? No. Should we?

No comments:

Post a Comment