Thursday, May 8, 2014

Morning Thoughts

    Readers with good memories may recall me writing about the Daniel Plan, based on Daniel 6:10, featuring three dedicated times of private prayer daily with a minimum of fifteen minutes per, followed upon completion by a short e-mail to others who are committed to doing the same. Almost three months after beginning I find this approach extremely helpful. It helps to prevent the "drifting" by refocusing me on the Lord. Normally I pray for my needs, questions and situations in the morning, intercede for a number of people daily in the middle of the day, and free form in the evening. Always I try to open with appreciation and gratitude to God for who He is and what He has done and is doing. Often I incorporate the Lord's prayer ( Matthew 6, Luke 11) into my prayers. And I am especially thankful to know that both the Lord Jesus and the Holy Spirit are interceding. ( Romans 8:26, 34)
     This morning i received a inkling of what Paul expresses in the beginning of Romans 9. "That I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to the flesh." ( Romans 8:2-3 ESV) When i receive ongoing revelation of the independence and rebellion of not only my fellow North Americans but also of the believers in this country I weep. The theme of John the Baptist as a voice in the wilderness becomes real to me. And i am painfully aware of how much independence and rebellion lurks in my own heart.
     Oh God, may we receive Jesus as our King. May we understand that it is not about us, but about Him. That it is an undeserved privilege and honor to enter your Kingdom. That we enter by faith that produces obedience. That a King is someone whom we obey. Let us seek first the kingdom of God ( Matthew 6:33) that we may "inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world." ( Matthew 25:34) May we be part of the kingdom when Christ "delivers the kingdom to God the Father." ( 1 Corinthians 15:24a ESV) May we surrender to King Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment