Friday, May 16, 2014

Who is Lord?

"Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." ( Philippians 2:9-11 ESV)
     "Thomas answered him, 'My Lord and my God!" ( John 20:28 ESV)
"For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living." (Romans 14:9 ESV)
"Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead you shall be saved." ( Romans 10:9 ESV)
     "Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord'  and not do what I tell you?" ( Luke 6:46)
     As I continue to speak to "Christians" about discipleship I am receiving similar responses. When I say that discipleship is not optional ( Matthew 28:18-20), and that it involves accountability (1 Cor. 3"5-10, Colossians 1:28, 1 Thess 5:12-14, Hebrews 13:17,  and many examples of Paul with Timothy or Titus (1&2 Timothy, Titus) the response is "that's too rigid" or "that's too narrow."
     Who is Lord of our lives? If Jesus is our Lord in practice rather than in theory, how would He exert His authority in our lives? Through our feelings? Or through the eternal, Holy Spirit inspired, inerrant Word of God? Why is the Bible soaked in the blood of many martyrs, those who died so that we could have this book in our own language?
    I happen to have almost mo knowledge of auto mechanics. If i have a problem with my car and take it to be repaired then i have no understanding to evaluate what the mechanic tells me is wrong and how much it will cost to fix. I have to base my decision on other factors.
   I suspect most "Christians" have the same problem when someone presents something to them Scripturally. They simply do not know the Bible well enough to evaluate when someone speaks to them from it. I was in  that place for too many years. But unlike auto mechanics, if Jesus is my Lord, then i have a mandate (2 Timothy 2:15) cf. Acts 17:11) to read and study to discover what He commands me to do. And so does anyone who confesses Him as Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment