Friday, December 26, 2014

Adventures in Brazil: Final Observations

On December 25th i completed my third visit to Brazil, which lasted a full month. This follows previous visits of three weeks, and three months, respectively. Traveling and living in Brazil is definitely a mixed bag. Traveling to and from the US requires at least 24 hours of flying and waiting in airports. Have never had the slightest difficulties in customs with either the US or Brazil. Should say that almost all of my interactions with Brazilians are with committed Christians. The hospitality of the believers to someone who is a foreigner, and barely speaks their language is extraordinary. Yet sometimes i feel like royalty, something i would prefer to wait for in the heavenly realms when all believers will reign with Jesus. I am fed delicious, healthy food with lots of fruit juices available. Yet sometimes they want me to eat four or five meals a day, and more with every meal. Normally i have a schedule with set times for meals, prayers, reading the Word, reviewing memory verses and adding new ones, Portuguese study, and exercise. In Brazil my schedule goes out the window, and I need to be diligent and creative to do these things. They are extremely attentive to any possible need, and always willing to accommodate me. The challenge is twofold. One not to expect this when i return home; the other is the feeling of living in a fish bowl with me as the pet fish. I am dependent in many ways that i would not normally be. I do not have a car, a cell phone, regular or reliable Internet access. I am not supposed to go anywhere by myself for concern over robbery or assault. As a tall, pale person, everyone seems to know that i am a "gringo" before i open my mouth and confirm this. Sometimes people in stores will say your friend is not a Brazilian, is he? On the other hand I am driven everywhere ( I dislike driving, my clothes are washed superbly on a regular basis; my expenses are minimal. The biggest is giving. While i am not allowed to pay for anything, this can be irksome at times. A slowly increasing comprehension of Portuguese opens more doors; i still have trouble with anything beyond a slow, basic conversation. I have only met three Brazilians fluent enough in English that I have confidence that they understand what I am saying, and that i am being understood. The rest of the time is tricky. There are many opportunities to share the Word with individuals, small and large groups, which i treasure. I do need to use "translator" English but this is no hardship. I would like more opportunities to learn from the Brazilians. As a supposed "pastor" I am treated like royalty. I would rather stand at the end of the food line rather than the front, especially after i heard an idiomatic expression for an overweight person is that they eat like a pastor. The best part of my time in Brazil is the many opportunities to have true fellowship with young adult Christians in a way that is extremely rare for me here. In every setting there are young people who want to hang out with me, talk, receive and honor. Maybe half speak some level of English; the others do not but the time is always sweet and rich in the Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment