Saturday, February 20, 2016

Comfort Zone Test in Ireland

In the US, and also in Brazil, there is a concept known as the "comfort zone," ( zona da conforto). The comfort zone is the things that we feel comfortable in doing, which means that we have a considerable amount of control over the environment (including the people) around us. We do what we want and don't do what we don't want to do. However this idea conflicts with the Lordship of Jesus Christ in the lives of true believers. Consciously or unconsciously we want to share the throne of our own lives with Him. But Jesus will not share the throne with us, nor should He. A simple test of who is on the throne, and how significant His place is in our lives is when we are taken out of our comfort zone. This can easily happen while traveling. For example, under normal circumstances I control my diet and exercise regimen. While traveling, as i stay in other people's homes, I eat what they give me. ( This often results in constipation) I exercise on their schedule, which often means that I don't. While traveling home from Portugal my itinerary involved a long layover in Ireland. The reasonably priced hotel proved to be a considerable trial. The lights only worked in a manner completely foreign to me, involving putting my room key card into a slot on the wall which resulted in approx. 3 minutes of light before they abruptly shut off again. Try doing this at night after having made a trip to the desk to learn how they functioned. Even diagonally the bed was too short and felt like a slab of rock. The one blanket was too short and the heat in the room could not be adjusted. A sleepless night resulted. Went to the airport 2 hours early, and went through innumerable checks and verifications. Got lost searching for the gate. Thankfully people speak English in Ireland. Went through US Customs in Ireland, which i had not previously experienced having always gone through Customs here in the States. Boarded the plane, waited half an hour on the tarmac, went aloft in my little prison for 7 and a half hours. ( I am too big for the seats) Typical crying babies, and people in various stages of communicable sickness all around me. The in flight entertainment system was virtually unworkable as usual. Luggage was slow, caught the bus to the big bus station, tried to get my phone to turn on, took the wrong exit at the subway, reoriented, dragged my suitcase ( I am no longer young), purchased a ticket to Springfield, the departure gate changed 3 times in 15 minutes, boarded the bus, more sick people and crying babies- singing works sometimes- finally reached my penultimate destination, thankfully my friend was waiting, and snow began to fall on our 45 minute car ride to the house. This morning I had to confess my frustration, anger, failure to minister the gospel etc. amid seeing just how shallow my Christianity can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment