Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Vision Casting

A little tardy with this post. The Lord Jesus put another piece of the puzzle in for me the other night. In the same way that children are influenced by their parents, I think that new believers are influenced by the "flavor" of Christianity that they grow up in. I suspect that most people brought into the kingdom in a charismatic context probably remain charismatics while most who receive Christ in a Reformed context probably remain Reformed. (doctrines of grace) My first 12 years in the Lord were heavily influenced by a man (Jim Durkin) with a very large vision, someone who genuinely believed that the gospel needed to be preached in the whole world, and made significant, fruitful efforts to see that come to pass, planting almost a hundred churches in the western hemisphere and in Europe. I find most people don't think this way or of themselves as "kingdom builders" (1 Cor. 3:10) While I tend to think large scale because of Jim's influence I don't have the giftedness to fulfill what I believe needs to occur. So I try to recruit others with various gifts, talents, perspectives to fulfill the vision.
Last Wednesday slept much of the time to make up for no sleep Tuesday evening on the plane. Thursday night met with my accountability brothers for whom I thank God. Saturday morning off to M. T's men's gathering in Southie. Saw several brothers hadn't seen in two years plus some of the young stalwarts. Sunday gathered with brethren in Whitinsville for part of their worship. Powerful presence of the Holy Spirit in our midst. Then off to Milford to join the E. Cambridge group at Marcio's. Delighted to meet our brother Alex, his Mom & 2 friends who came to visit. Also had an opportunity to talk with & field questions from Marcio & his friend Roberto.
Monday trekked to Cambridge to see my friend Gary & catch up with what God is doing with him. Ended up sharing about four Biblical reasons why God established marriage. I guess marriage is in the air, or maybe I just know a lot of young people. Had the privilege and joy of praying a blessing at Dale & Laurie's wedding,and will have the oppty. to speak words of encouragement at Jose & Ashley's wedding, and to officiate at Matt & Candice's wedding. Thanks, guys.
Also great to hear from my brother Doug, who has completed a lengthy and honorable military career. As he enters civilian life, he will continue working and bearing fruit in the kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment