Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Reflections on the love of God

Some of the most powerful illustrations of God's love are found in the Old Testament. The Holy Spirit reveals to Isaiah that "He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young." (Isa. 40:11 ESV) Or "Sing for joy, O heavens and exult, O earth; break forth, O mountains, into singing! For the Lord has comforted his people and will have compassion on his afflicted." (Isa 49:13) Particularly moving is the revelation given to Hosea. "And I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy. I will betroth you to me in faithfulness. And you shall know the Lord." In the depths of the "minor" prophets Nahum writes, "The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he cares for those who trust in him." (Nahum 1:7 NIV by memory)David writes, "I will rejoice and be glad in your steadfast love, because you have seen my affliction; you have known the distress of my soul." (Ps 31:7)
Because of our experience of human love which is often capricious or contains an element of selfishness, and at the best of times is finite, it is difficult to receive the truth of God's infinite, selfless love and compassion for us. May we believe that "the Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love." (Ps. 103:8) "As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him. For he knows our frame, he remembers that we are dust." (Ps. 103:13-14)

1 comment: