Saturday, April 16, 2011

Strong Encouragement

"So when God desired to show more convincingly to the heirs of the promise the unchangeable character of his purpose, he guaranteed it with an oath, so that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have STRONG ENCOURAGEMENT to hold fast the hope set before us." ( Heb. 6:17-18 ESV) As I reflect on the several days since my last entry this emerges as the predominant theme, the need to give and receive strong encouragement to one another.
Thursday evening I had the delight of fellowship with Nathaniel, Eden, and their newborn daughter. Nathaniel has a humility and heart for the Word of God that is both rare and precious. Eden blessed me with healthy food and hospitality. Friday I trekked to the wilds of Harvard U to observe my friend Gary making his doctoral thesis defense, the culmination of six years of grad school, although I really didn't understand much of anything he said, and to meet his parents for the first time. Afterwards we celebrated his success aided by members of the "covert team of Gary's friends," (Serene, Tout et. al) After that, well after my bed time, Josh & I discussed a variety of topics, encouraging one another.
Saturday morning we joined M. T., praying, encouraging, and discussing together. I am very blessed by the sincerity and faithfulness of these two brothers. In the afternoon I ventured north to see our brother Nick. We hiked around, giving mutual encouragement & continuing in prayer. Then God blessed me with a call from our brother Doug, a true defender of the faith, and the one who taught me about strong encouragement from the Scriptures in the power of the Spirit. Thank you God for our brother Doug.

No comments:

Post a Comment