Thursday, May 26, 2011

Hearing What We Want to Hear

When Jesus came proclaiming the kingdom of God, his disciples asked, "Are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?" (Acts 1:) And this after three years of daily interaction with Him! The people wanted to make Him king. (John 6:15)They heard Jesus speaking of a kingdom and projected their own expectations and desires onto Him. We also hear what we want to hear. We form an opinion about someone and any further incident or statement reinforces that rather than allowing for the possibility of God changing that person.
I thank God that He is changing me over time. While I will probably never be the life of the party, I find it fascinating that He has called a former loner and introvert to circulate throughout the region and interact with people of diametrically opposed viewpoints and approaches to living for Christ.
May I also ask for your prayers. Some months ago another brother and myself submitted our names for eldership to the ekklesia we are in, and that God used us to plant. As the process has unfolded I find myself developing reservations about whether to continue. Some considerations include the calling to itinerant ministry, which seems the antithesis of the local elder's work, the fact that I live almost two hours away, and the sheer weight of the responsibility before God. ( Those who must give an account. Heb. 13:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment