Saturday, December 3, 2011

Adventures with Brazilians ( 2)

Last night I had the blessing and joy of spending the evening with my friends Vinci, Samia, Getulio & Ana from Brazil along with my American friend Matt. We met in a
confeitaria (pastry & coffee shop) The waitresses spoke Portuguese, and my friends felt comfortable. Samia ordered a Brazilian specialty for us, the name of which I forget, consisting of shredded chicken and cheese in a pear shaped, and sized, fried dough coating. We discussed the advance of the kingdom of God through ascension gift teams ( Ephesians 4:11)and a swirl of other topics. Matt was meeting them for the first time so they got acquainted. After two hours we departed with Matt returning to his family. Then the real adventure started.
We were walking back to the car when we heard sirens. First one fire engine, then a second and a third filled the narrow street on which we had parked, completely blocking us in. It turned out the "fire" was very minor but it took a awhile to figure this out. Then they wanted to go to stores to exchange things or find items not previously obtained. Now i am familiar with the northern suburbs so I was ok there. Then they wanted to go into the big city, which I do not know. Vinci held the GPS while I tried to keep my eyes on the road. Everyone is speaking Portuguese, which I am trying, thus far in vain, to learn. My reflexes are not what they were, and I don't like driving at night in strange places. I made several wrong turns, and on one occasion we were nearly killed.
I once heard a teaching that said that God used angels to protect His children from physical harm, and the Holy Spirit from spiritual danger. After last night I am inclined to believe it because I don't see any other reason why we are not all dead. So while I want to serve them I think it should take another form than driving around at night in strange cities.

No comments:

Post a Comment