Friday, May 25, 2012

Car Analogy

Although I'm not sure why, perhaps because my parents didn't, I've never had a bumper sticker on my cars. (Or as my fellow Bostonians say, "Bumpah Stickah.) However, I do read them. My all time favorite, which I only saw once, was "Eschew Obfuscation." I laughed hysterically about that one. Anyway, a more common sticker for Christians is "God is my Co-Pilot." While I appreciate that this is meant to acknowledge dependence on Him, I suspect it would be more appropriate if it said, "God is the Pilot."
     New England seems to produce a steady crop of  Christian males who spend a lot of time in the Word, reading, studying, developing rock hard convictions about theology and doctrine. Now I believe that all believers need to read and study the Bible, heeding the admonition of 2 Timothy 2:15 (among others.) "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." Continuing the car analogy, intake of the Scripture is like gasoline. Without a steady supply we stall spiritually and come to a stop in our walk. However, our lives, like a car, need other things besides gasoline such as oil. The love of God, received by us, is the oil that lubricates the engines of our lives. "WE love because He first loved us." ( 1 John 4:19) Love prevents us from indulging in endless arguments of "I'm right, and you're wrong." May we "speak the truth in love," (Ephesians 4:15 all citations are NKJV) and remember that "love covers a multitude of sins." (James 5:20)

No comments:

Post a Comment