Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Some Observations

     Wednesday evening I was in a free flowing meeting with about twenty other Christians. Someone mentioned the need for God's wisdom, which reminded me of the verse about wisdom being like a deep well, but a man of wisdom drawing it out. I thought it was Proverbs 20:13 but when I looked it up that was not the correct reference so I asked the group if anyone knew where it was located. A man to my right said he and his wife had been reading Proverbs chapter 20 that morning & thought it was in there so I looked again and found it in verse five. Now this may seem unremarkable but it is the first time I remember this happening in forty plus years of walking with Christ, that someone asked where something was located in the Bible, and someone else knew because they happened to have it read it recently. If every Christian is reading the Bible daily, it seems like this should be a common occurrence.
     In the gospel of Mark (10:29ff) Jesus speaks about those who have left "house or brothers or sisters etc. "for my sake and the gospel's" will receive a hundredfold in this life "houses and brothers and sisters..." I have never owned property but I have the keys to three people's homes, and entree to many more.
     Saturday morning i was gathered with about ten believers. We were discussing (after a time of prayer) ideas about our monthly outreach to the poor. One thought was to serve more healthy food for our common meal. The person who mentioned this had just viewed something detailing the (alleged) problems with a meat/dairy heavy diet. My question with this or any other idea is what does God think about it? Has He spoken about it in His Word? Do we care what He thinks? Generally speaking it seems that Christians really don't ask and reflect on these questions but form our values/decisions/opinions on other criteria.
     Finally a possibly apocryphal story that I heard many years ago. A Christian was witnessing to a lawyer about Jesus Christ. In the course of his presentation the Christian said, "The Bible says..." The lawyer asked,"Where does the Bible say that?" The Christian had no idea. The lawyer said," Do you see all these law books in my office? If you ask me about a court case or decision I can show you which book it is in and where it's located. When you know your Bible as well as I know my law books, then come back and talk to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment