Wednesday, April 24, 2013

M, M & M

     Candy? No, actually the three letter M's above are the initials of three brothers with whom I met last night. I met these men several years ago, have been in regular fellowship with them since the fall, and last night invited them to explore discipleship with me. About a month ago we went on a men's retreat together where i had the opportunity to teach on the subject of discipleship. Subsequent to that delighted in an opportunity to spend more than five hours straight with two of them searching the Scriptures and praying. Since that wonderful (and sadly rare experience) God has been challenging and convicting me on the imperative to disciple others.He has used a young author named David Platt, two of whose books ( Radical and Follow Me) I have read, and highly recommend, in that process. Last night I proposed a vision of discipleship which all three embraced.
     Let's look at how the Holy Spirit used Paul to describe this to Timothy. "You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit to faithful men who will be able to teach others also." ( 2 Timothy 2:1-2 NKJV) This agrees with what he writes to the Philippians. "The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you." ( Phil 4:9 NKJV)
     The vision that i offered was of a intentional pouring out of what God has worked in me over many years and tribulations into their lives. It involves commitment, caring, the Word of God, prayer, and application of what we learn. It is a two, not one way, street. We emphasized them in turn giving to others what they learn and grow in. We looked specifically at our new identity in Christ, and i gave them a little homework assignment. Thank you, God, for answering my prayers, and giving me men to mentor and teach in accordance with the words of Jesus in Matthew 28: 19-20. May we go to the nations and fulfill your will.

No comments:

Post a Comment