Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Back to my Roots

     Regular readers of this blog are aware that I have been expressing concern and disillusionment about the American house church movement for over a year. This month marks thirteen years since i entered that movement. Several years ago God introduced me to a Brazilian brother whom He subsequently led me to acknowledge publicly as an apostle. Sometime later I felt led of the Holy Spirit to submit myself to this brother's covering and ultimately to become part of the movement that God has given him to lead. For some time i have have walked unequally yoked between the two movements. In the apostolic movement i saw order, authority, discipleship, and much spiritual fruit. In the house church movement i experienced anarchy, irrelevance, rebellion, and little spiritual fruit. So i am cutting my ties to the house church mindset. In the process the Lord has brought me back to my roots.
    Over forty years ago as a wandering hippie, God drew me to Himself through the vehicle of the Jesus People movement of the late 1960's and early 1970's. I was brought into a part of it led by an apostolic brother, the only other man that i have ever personally acknowledged as apostolic. Like my Brazilian friend, he had a strong preaching gift, a heart for evangelism, and practical vision for the gospel to go to the nations. Both men traveled regularly, and saw much fruit from their ministries. What encourages me in this latter day movement is that there are many mature brethren involved, and my friend is in mutual accountability with other like gifted brothers.
     May God be glorified through Jesus Christ. "To God, alone wise, be glory through Jesus Christ forever."
(Romans 16:27 NKJV)

1 comment:

  1. Brother Rick, I'm interested in your use of the word, "covering." Could you expand on that a little in another posting?

    ReplyDelete