Tuesday, May 7, 2013

May, 2013 Canada visit



Recently I returned from my first visit to Canada this year. The Lord Jesus has opened
a door of ministry there for me with a Brazilian home based group in the Montreal area. A brother Russ loaded me up with snacks after treating me to breakfast and then prayed me on my way. Drove up through New Hampshire and into Canada. As usual the Canadian border officials were pleasant. Counting brief stops the journey took about seven hours and I rolled into my destination about five-thirty. There I was greeted by Wellington and Suzel, my hosts, with their children Tiago and Lulu. We had good fellowship and the Brazilian food which I enjoy too much. My friend Reuel, his wife Erika, and their son Mateus joined us several hours later after a traffic filled drive from Ottawa.
In the morning after breakfast took a walk around the neighborhood. Wel lives in a residential suburb with new housing going up around the corner. Spring had sprung even in these northern climes and the day was quite warm. Later in the day we were joined by Andre, Camilla and their son Davi, as well as Wender, Ana-Paula and their son Antonio, and Edouard. In the evening we worshiped together. Wel had asked if I would share from the Word which I did, focusing on two questions. What did God do for us through Christ? What is our response? For texts I used John 3:16, Matt. 20:28, Ephesians 2:1-4, Matt. 25:21,23, Luke 12:21, 14:25. Then we looked at one reason why we did not reciprocate God's love- the culture we live in, subject of a prior post. They were attentive and receptive even with translation. Thank you, Reuel.
Sunday several families joined us for the ubiquitous and delicious Brazilian barbecue. After they departed had an opportunity to speak with some of the brothers about the church and the vision for the future. They were candid and I thank God for deepening relationship that allowed for that.
Monday morning discussed Biblical child-rearing with Reuel and Suzel. The foundation is our love to God expressed through our obedience to Him. If we do not receive this revelation then disciplining children to do the same will seem onerous. Left a little after ten in the morning and eventually came to the border. Was asked to see the agricultural inspector, something new for me in my travels. I assume that they are given a quota and fulfill this by selecting one out of every so many (15,20, whatever) cars that pass through. I was asked if I had visited or planned to visit a ranch or a farm in the last month or in the next one, and my trunk was inspected. Then I was passed on. Again with brief stops the journey came to about seven hours before arriving home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment