Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Road Trip: Part 7

For the first several days of my time in Arkansas, the "Natural" state, as their license plates attest, it seemed like Arkansas, the naturally flooded state. Continual rain and flooded areas were everywhere. Friday night slept on a borrowed air mattress: itinerant ministry requires flexibility. Saturday morning went to a men's breakfast at a local Baptist church. About a dozen brothers came. They are just beginning a study of Richard Wurmbrandt's classic on persecution. Good food, fellowship and i left with the distinct impression that these guys were serious about their walk with Christ. Their Sunday morning service was held in a senior center, a rather large building. My friend Asaph had spoken to their pastor Jeff and their other leaders about me preaching, which i had not anticipated happening, especially as the congregation had not known Asaph very long and me not at all. Jeff and i had a phone conversation prior to my arrival. He suggested that i speak on discipleship, which i was happy to do. This group has been in existence for seventeen years, gone through several pastors and ups and downs in their history. God is faithful. His words through me impacted the people. We met again that evening for a more interactive time. I showed the "throne" diagram, which illustrates the importance of surrender to Christ. Monday evening I went to the home of Jeff and Tammy. These seasoned saints were warmly hospitable, receptive, and will be key to the future of the congregation. Afterwards indulged in a little bowling with other members of the church, bringing up the rear with a score of 70. Tuesday went to the home of Aaron and Suzanne. Again had good food, fellowship, hospitality, and spent the night. God is doing good things in Aaron's heart. Unfortunately in the middle of all this i became ill, with flu symptoms. Much of my days have been spent resting. Tonight i go to a Bible study. I am encouraged that the people who have spoken with me believe that the Lord's call to discipleship is what their group needs to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment