Sunday, April 26, 2015

Persecution

P E R S E C U T I O N In over forty years in the church in America, I do not believe that I have ever heard a message on the subject of persecution. In that same period I have preached the Word a minimum of two hundred times and I have never taught on the subject either. Christ followers in many other countries have this experience on a regular basis. The following is a selection of Bible verses on this theme. “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.” ( Matthew 5:10-12 ESV from the words of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount.) “And you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.” (Words of Jesus in Mark 13:13 ESV) “If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own, but because you are not of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you: A servant is not greater than his master. If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you.” ( John 15:18-20) “Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.” ( 2 Timothy 3:12 ESV) “Others suffered mocking and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. They were stoned, sawn in two, they were killed with the sword. They went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, afflicted, mistreated.” ( Hebrews 11: 36-37) “Are they servants of Christ? I am a better one- I am talking like a madman- with far greater labors, far more imprisonments, with countless beatings, and often near death. Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned...” ( 2 Corinthians 11:23-25a ESV Testimony of Paul the apostle) “But recall the former days when, after you were enlightened, you endured a hard struggle with sufferings, sometimes being publicly exposed to reproach and affliction, and sometimes being partners with those so treated.” ( Hebrews 10:32-33 ESV) “Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you... Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name.” ( 1 Peter 4:12-14, 16 ESV) Persecution is here in America, and intensifying.

1 comment:

  1. It happened again. I commented, hit publish, selected gmail, which I signed in with, then got bounced back to the post without my comments. This is a very welcome topic. Thank you.

    DC

    ReplyDelete