Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Visiting a Regular Church

The title refers to visiting a group that meets in a building rather than a home. Sunday evening had the opportunity to visit a church for the first time. A friend had e-mailed asking for my assessment of a different group in the same town. After reviewing their information, i found this group. Three things got my attention. One was their purpose statement, which said that the church existed to make disciples. The second was their list of recommended books, which placed the ESV study Bible first. The third was their statement, found among their distinctives, which said that they believed that men and women were equal in worth and value, but different in role and authority. Upon arrival I was warmly greeted by several people, not a given in American churches. The worship was contemporary. I find it amazing that well into my fifth decade in the church that there can be so many songs that i do not know. The preaching was balanced, Biblical, challenging, and expositional. ( 2 Peter 1:1-15) Most of the congregation are university students, some international. I was very blessed to speak Portuguese with three Brazilian exchange students. One of the two pastors sat down with us and I spoke with him. He expressed a desire for a multi-generational church. He also said that a primary goal was to induce people to actually read and study the Bible. Finally, for the first time in many months, it is possible today to open the sliding door to my suite and allow a little fresh air to enter from outside. Sadly, we will have more cold days in the months to come. My memory verse for today is Psalm 37:25. "Once I was young and now I am old, but I have never seen the righteous forsaken nor their seed begging bread."

No comments:

Post a Comment