Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Power of Childhood Training

As the firstborn child in my family, I was told at least a thousand times during my formative years to "think before you speak." Five decades later I still do not speak a lot, and when I do it is normally in a serious, deliberate manner. Am I doing this consciously? No, it is the result of systematic, intentional training. Even example without words can have power. During my youth my parent's cars never had bumper stickers. This was not discussed or any reason ever alluded to. To this day I have never had a bumper sticker on any car that I have owned. The book of Proverbs in the Bible has much practical wisdom about childrearing. Chapter 22, verse 6 says to "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." This goes both ways. As Galatians 6:7 says, "Whatever one sows that will he also reap." If we teach our children moral values in a loving, firm, consistent way, they will receive those values. If we let them sit in front of the TV or allow them to play video games all the time they will absorb other values. Chapters 2 through 7 of the book of Proverbs begin with the phrase, "My son." Here is a selection of what follows. "My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you." ( 3:1-2) "My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline or be weary of his reproof, for the Lord reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights." (3:11-12) "Hear, o sons, a father's instruction, and be attentive, that you may gain insight, for i give you good precepts; do not forsake my teaching." ( 4:1-2) "My son, be attentive to my wisdom, incline your ear to my understanding." ( 5:1) "My son, keep my words and treasure up my commandments with you; keep my commandments and live; keep my teaching as the apple of your eye." (7:1-2 all quotations ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment