Monday, September 14, 2009

Riding the wave

Pace has intensified since my last post. Had the privilege of attending my first writer's group on Thursday evening. After writing off and on for four decades, I received an opportunity to do a semi-dramatic reading of part of the first chapter of an evangelistic novel I am writing. Am praying for a door to open to publish it, and a prior completed work with the same theme.
Enjoyed good fellowship with my friend Miller. We took nature walks, heard Bach organ music, and counseled together. God has given him a ministry with many people around the world and used him to impact and encourage many.
Saturday morning drove to Toledo and met a young man Jake, formerly of my sending ekklesia in Cambridge. God has blessed him with fervency, self discipline, and a willingness to receive that I find rare. We encouraged one another in the Lord. On Sunday he introduced me to his new fellowship, started by a couple named David and Margo. I have deep respect for their willingness to open their home to students and provide the spiritual parenting that so many, including myself, never received. David led worship and taught from Daniel. Margo cooked a great meal and contributed to our discussion. David and I spoke to and prayed for one another afterwards. They just started their second year of home based fellowship. I regretted having to leave so soon and desire to return. As we look at the church planting strategy of Paul the apostle we find that he concentrated on cities in the eastern Roman Empire. I believe urban areas are the future of the church, and especially of home gatherings.

Sunday evening drove to north central Indiana and met up with my friend George, a man faithful to the Lord for many decades. At 77 he has just completed a Book of Psalms devotional. He introduced me to a group of saints with whom he fellowships. They are transitioning from a traditional approach to one home based. Sadly I missed their time of prayer but enjoyed fellowship with a handful of them afterwards.

New England possesses very few fields devoted to agriculture; the land is cramped and hilly. On my way west I have driven for hundreds of miles with fields on either side on ground flat as a board with fringes of trees rather than forests. I have belatedly learned that the short crops are soybeans, the tall ones corn. Our Lord keeps speaking to me about the importance of cultivating my personal relationship with Him in a similar manner as a farmer does his crops. (After the over abundance of rainfall that NE experienced this summer, it surprised me to see giant irrigation machines splashing water onto crops in northern Indiana.) If we receive from Him we have something to give, if not we drain others with our needs.

Wednesday morning I head for Chicago, and Milwaukee this weekend. I thank God for these opportunities. He has shown me that this initial foray is a scouting trip to see what doors will open, and who desires to receive what He can give through me. This will aid in returning for longer visits in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment