Sunday, September 27, 2009

On the Passing of a Mother

Last Sunday, while in Milwaukee, I received a call from my youngest brother informing me that my mother had passed away. After fulfilling my commitments in Chicago I flew back to Boston on Wednesday and traveled to Connecticut on Thursday. My sister and brother-in-law had preceded me, and we were eventually joined by my nephew, my other brother and my daughter. Friday we made an expedition to the primary residences we had lived in as a family, located near Albany, NY and in Berkshire Co. MA. Had the oppty. to tell my adult nephew, who grew up in the Midwest, about his grandfather, who had died prior to his birth.
Saturday morning we met my younger brother and his family for a Memorial service in my mother's local church. My niece played and sang "Songbird" beautifully. My sister and younger brother shared remembrances of our mother to the assembly. Both spoke well. Afterward we formed a line and spoke with extended family, and members of the Woman's Club, P.E.O., and the church, the three primary associations with which my mother was involved.
The family held a private graveside service in which I read some Scripture including Ps. 116:15, 1 Thessalonians 2:7, John 11:25-26 & Ephesians 2:1-10. We then prayed together and entrusted our mother into the hands of God.
In the evening, per my mother's prior request, the whole family went out to eat. We reminisced about the impact she had in our lives. One major legacy for me was her love of reading, which she passed on to me. Most of what i have learned, and much of the pleasure I have experienced in life has come from reading.

As we went our separate ways (we are scattered throughout the country) I wondered if the eleven of us would ever come together again at one time in one place.

Today I fly back to Chicago, pick up my car, and resume my journey, heading tomorrow to MO.

No comments:

Post a Comment