Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Windy City

Traveled with a brother George to the Indiana turnpike, stopping for fellowship with a brother named Keith on the way. Keith had served as a missionary to Haiti. I appreciate his seriousness about walking with the Lord. The night before enjoyed the hospitality of Charlie and Shelley and had a good discussion with them, people I had just met them the day before. It amazes me how God can establish instant rapport between members of His family. A young lad treated us to a good rendition of a nocturne by Chopin.

George traveled east, stopping for the night with a brother Miller, while I continued west. One of the joys that God gives me is connecting brethren who don't know one another. Both George and Miller have since contacted me to say that they enjoyed their time together. Wednesday afternoon I arrived at the home of old friends Tom & Diane whom I had not since for over thirty years. We had gotten to know one another in the Jesus People movement of the early 70-s in California. We enjoyed instant rapport. They now have seven children, most of whom have left the nest. Explored the idea of NT apostolic traditions and provided mutual encouragement to one another.

Thursday morning met with Tom & a number of brothers whom he hosts every week for fellowship and explained what God is doing with me. Spent the day with a brother Greg, also a friend from the Jesus People days, shadowing him as he did upholstery repair, my old trade. His business is much more profitable and less stressful than mine. Upholstery repairmen work alone, as they don't require a helper like most trades, and I think he found our fellowship fruitful.

Friday met with a brother Lewie whom the Lord has given a burden for the city of Chicago. He has established several discipleship communities in the city and beyond by following Jesus' model of making disciples- personal example and mentoring. Astonished by the unity we, two brothers who had not met before, had on every subject we discussed. Looking forward to meeting with the whole group Tuesday evening.

God is doing something in my heart with regard to Chicago, a city I have no prior knowledge of. May He continue to reveal it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment