Monday, December 7, 2009

Consumers or Participants?

Received a call this week from a good friend and brother in Christ concerned about the lack of participation in the house church he has started. He wondered whether I observed this in my travels. I said quite often. Did I have any thoughts? I reproduce my response below.
1. Are all of the people who attend your group, or any church, genuine believers in Christ? It is possible to mimic the external behavior of others and to say the right things. One can interact with the Christian community, listen to solid Biblical messages etc. & not know God. I did it for years. Think of 2 Corinthians 13:5 in this regard. "Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith..."
2. If one does have a personal relationship with Christ, are they cultivating it? Think about the meaningful relationships that you have with other people. Don't they require time and effort and a desire to get together?
3. Teaching on the subject with the hope of changing the perspective that many of us have grown up in the faith with- a passive receiving of the gifts of a few people rather than the NT emphasis of encouraging one another.
A. Hebrews 10:24-25
B. 1 Corinthians 14:26
C. 1 Thessalonians 5:11
D. Hebrews 3:13
The above verses are a subset of at least fifty "one another" verses in the NT that exhort us to love one another, instruct one another, encourage one another etc.

I had the privilege of sharing this with some brethren last night. In recent days I have also written a short story, applied to join two writer's groups (with no response), gone last Saturday to hand out food to homeless people in Oakland, and corresponded or spoken to a number of people. God remains faithful & His love for me personal and intense. I'm also reading a commentary by a brother named David Pawson, who uses the macro/summary of themes approach instead of the micro/verse by verse method.

1 comment:

  1. Some folks in house churches aproach the body the same way that most Americans approach life: what's in it for me? Commitment is very important, both to the Lord and to His church. That means getting togehter and giving. It's easier to receive than to give. So we must learn to give, give, give.

    ReplyDelete