Saturday, October 30, 2010

Memorization

In recent times several people have brought up the subject of memorizing Scripture to me or me to them. My original inspiration was an biography of the founder of The Navigators ministry, Dawson Trotman, that I read in the early 90's. Practicing memorization of the Scripture has proved invaluable in helping to make me more Christlike. While one does not find an absolute command to do so in the Bible, what we do see makes for a compelling case. For example, Ps. 119:11 "I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you." (ESV) Or, Proverbs 22:17-18 "Incline your ear, and hear the words of the wise, and apply your heart to my knowledge, for it will be pleasant if you keep them within you, if all of them on ready on your lips. Consider the example of Jesus when Satan tempted Him in the wilderness following the 40 day fast. "But he answered, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God." Note his subsequent responses in Matthew 4:6 & 10 when He quotes Scripture in response to temptation.
Some practical tips include memorizing verses or passages that really stand out to you, are especially meaningful. Memorize the reference i.e. John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever should believe in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16 By saying the reference both before and after the verse you will be able to find it even if you forget part of it. Many people have remarked on my ability to find things in the Bible. It is due to following this practice when I memorized. Finally, review, review, review.
Last Monday had the privilege of spending several hours with our brother Alex in arboreal serenity. Thanks for the fellowship, bro. This morning met with some brothers from our ekklesia in further exploration of how we should make decisions as a group. We looked into eldership, which we had not done in any formal manner. I hope to make that the subject of my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment