Thursday, March 3, 2011

Legalism?

One of the most common charges that I hear hurled by Christians (?) is that of legalism. It is often said in response to someone else urging that the first person adhere to Scripture. Granted that there may be issues of interpretation involved, yet usually the epithet is used from a place of moral anarchy, as in "I can do whatever I want." Sadly it is often the only time that we use the term "brother" with one another. Legalism refers to law, and the primary law spoken of in the Bible is the Law of Moses. Those who believe that they are in a New Covenant are not under the Law of Moses. Yet we do believe that Jesus is Lord and we reflect that conviction by our obedience to Him.
As I've said in the past I see an increasing number of issues as falling within the purview of Romans 14, "Let everyone be fully persuaded in his own mind." We need not agree on every point. However there are a handful of core things that we must believe in order to be genuine followers of Christ. One of these is the gospel of Jesus, the same gospel that the apostles preached. We have no warrant to change this in any way. I urge my readers to study and insure that they are not preaching a different gospel. (Galatians 1:6-9)
Tuesday I spent at least five hours on the phone talking to five different people. May the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ continue to minister through the Holy Spirit in each of these situations. Wednesday I had the privilege of prayer and fellowship with our brothers John R, and Mark O. I thank God for their heart for Him, and their walking as Kingdom builders.

1 comment:

  1. Jesus said that disciples are to obey everything he commanded (Matt 28:20). In saying that, was he encouraging us to be "legalists"?

    If I, as a believer, make it a point to avoid lying as instructed by the Scriptures (Col 3:9), would that make me a "legalist" because I try to obey a clear directive of Scripture?

    I say this to illustrate the idea that obedience to biblical commands and instructions is not in any way legalistic or legalism.

    ReplyDelete