Monday, August 8, 2011

Additional Brazil Notes

The primary Brazil report is contained in the previous post. This post has a few more reflections. The state of Minas Gerais is famed for its cheese based cuisine. One favorite was small bread balls with cooked cheese in the middle. Something favored by one of my hostesses was dulce ge leche, similar to pudding but richer.
Sandro told me that he could tell what part of Brazil a person was from by their accent. Those from the south often end their sentences with an expression that phonetically is neh, like the German "nein," or the French ne c'est pas. I think most Americans have a more generic accent.
Brazilian males are not hesitant to ask directions when in a car. I saw this two dozen times and in every case, whether the person was on foot, riding a bicycle, or in a car, they stopped and offered detailed directions. It was a fascinating confirmation of the cooperative nature of Brazilians.
At the youth retreat, late one night, I witnessed folk dancing. Over a hundred dancers participated in an intricate dance that lasted well over an hour. Unfortunately I was born with two left feet and didn't indulge.
On my return I was searching for Guarana, a soda drink very popular in Brazil made from fruit grown only in the Amazon. It tastes like apple flavored soda. I finally found some in a little store run by a Brazilian. He was familiar with the places that I had gone. His (accurate) comment was that it was very low stress in Brazil compared to the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment