Thursday, August 11, 2011

Housatonic River

Received a call from our brother Nick the other night and made arrangements to go see him today. He is at home for the summer before he returns to college. We found a little park near the Housatonic River to fellowship in. I hadn't known that he lived near this river, which also flows through the town I grew up in farther north. It brought back memories of my brothers and I playing near it, and crossing it on a huge fallen log against my mother's wishes. My youngest brother fell in. In those days it was the second most polluted waterway in the U. S. Since then it has enjoyed considerable cleanup.
Nick & I prayed together for God to open doors for him. We also looked at some passages in Revelation. Chapter one contains a description of Christ which includes the phrase, "His voice as many waters." (v.15) We also looked at the last chapter (22) describing the river of life, clear as crystal, proceeding from the throne of God and of the Lamb, and on either side of the river the tree of life whose leaves provide healing for the nations. Thanks, Nick, for the example of your hunger to know God. And thank you Father that while the Housatonic River is a poor imitation of the river of life, it gives us some clue of that eternal watercourse.

No comments:

Post a Comment