Monday, August 29, 2011

Defeated or armored up?

Woke up this morning with a strong sense of defeat. Sin, the flesh and the devil are tough, cunning enemies that don't give up, and my track record against them is not what I would want. Six days from today I am supposed to acknowledge a major role of responsibility in the Kingdom, something I am neither excited about nor especially gifted to do. The temptation is to accept defeat, not shoulder the responsibility, say that I can't do it. Thankfully the Holy Spirit is also speaking. "Armor up, rick." He is reminding me of the passage in Ephesians 6 in which He writes through Paul the apostle to "put on the whole armor of God." (v.11) This is not just stirring martial imagery but a powerful spiritual reality, if we obey the command. In particular He speaks to me of the "belt of truth." In John 17:17 Jesus says that the Word is truth. So what is the truth of the Word of God about me or any genuine believer in Christ? Romans 8:37 says that "in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loves us." Conquerors don't live in or accept defeat. Instead God leads us in triumphal procession in Christ. ( 2 Corinthians 2:14) Conquerors are "strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might." (Ephesians 6:10) They "share in suffering as a good soldier of Jesus Christ." (2 Timothy 2:3) "To the only wise God be glory forevermore through Jesus Christ! Amen." Romans 16:27 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment