Saturday, August 4, 2012

41 Years

     As a life long history "nut", I have had occasion to read both volumes of an autobiography of Frederick S. Roberts, who, towards the end of the Nineteenth Century was a household name, but since has drifted into obscurity. This British general and war hero wrote "Forty-one Years in India" about his exploits in the sub-continent. Well i haven't spent forty-one seconds in India but was led to the beginning of a relationship with Jesus Christ forty-one years ago today. At the time i was a teenage hippie, utterly lost in every sense of the word, with no vision, plan or goals.
     As I look back over my adult life walking with Christ I am struck most by His patience and perseverance in my life. I have been a painfully slow learner yet He has never given up on me, has never forsaken me. (Hebrews 13:5) This morning I reflected a little on the vicissitudes of my life- the pain and suffering, often self-inflicted, the hard work, the knowledge and revelation provided by the Holy Spirit. A portion of Psalm 61 came to mind.
     "Hear my cry, O God; attend to my prayer, from the end of the earth I will cry out to You, when my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock (Christ) that is higher than I. For you have been a shelter for me, a strong tower from the enemy, I will abide in your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of your wings."
(Psalm 61:1-4 NKJV) May we cling to the rock that is higher than we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment