Monday, August 13, 2012

Study to show yourself approved

     One of the ongoing things that God places on my heart as I work with and attempt to encourage other Christians is the importance of memorizing the books of the Bible in order. The reason is simple, that people can find things in the Bible and actually follow along when involved in a Bible study or listening to a teaching. It seems so basic but very few can actually do it. I grant that the Old Testament is more difficult, with more books and some unusual names; I have seen six year olds do the New Testament. I have encouraged many people to do this over the years. Only today have I learned of a person, other than my daughter, who has done this because of my encouragement. Galatians 6:6 states that "One who is taught must share all good things with the one who teaches." (ESV) Some interpret this financially; I suspect that it means we should try to encourage someone who teaches us with what we have learned.
     In 2 Timothy 2:15 Paul writes, "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth." (ESV) For many years I dabbled in the Bible, a little here and a little there.  When I finally responded to the Holy Spirit, he used a brother named Jim to inspire me to read the entire Bible from Genesis to Revelation for the first time. Since then I have read it many more times. God impressed upon me very clearly that I must "make it my business" to know His Word. Like Paul, I trust that I have "not been disobedient to the heavenly vision." (Acts 26:19)
    "May the words of our mouths and the meditations of our hearts be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, our rock and our redeemer." (Ps. 19:14 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment