Saturday, September 21, 2013

Reflections on Personal discipleship

     Personal discipleship is a rather foreign theme for most American "Christians," even though Jesus commands all true believers to make disciples. ( Matthew 28:19) But if we are to obey His command the implication is that one person disciples another (or more than one). The one being discipled may in turn disciple others but the basic building block is one person discipling another. We see Jesus doing this with the twelve, and even more so with the three. (Peter, James and John) We see Paul doing this with Timothy and other companions.
     Personal discipleship ties into the Lordship of Christ in the following way. The american christian idea of Lordship is very individualistic and subjective. I have a personal understanding of what the Lordship of Christ is in my life, usually without reference to anyone else. The discipleship that I saw and experienced in Brazil incorporates another person whose major concern is my welfare, growth and maturity in Christ. I need to submit to their more objective perspective of my life.
     I understand that is in direct conflict with the american cultural belief that i make my own decisions, live my own life, form my own values. But if this is how i think then i am still trying to be the Lord of my life, and Jesus is not. Recently I had a desire to do something which is not ungodly. Both the brother to whom i have submitted my life and another mature brother thought my desire was unwise. As I have submitted to their counsel I find their advice better than my own idea. God is faithful.
    One of the best spiritual tests is to look at the fruit produced. For me there is no contest. The system of personal discipleship, even with human frailty and potential abuse, is better than the anarchy of each part of the Body of Christ trying to operate separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment