Thursday, September 12, 2013

Some Thoughts on Fasting

   Fasting is the practice of not eating for the purpose of concentrating on God. This was practiced by such Old Testament figures as Moses,  David, Ezra, Esther, Daniel and the men of Jabesh (1 Chronicles 10:12), and by Jesus and the early Church. (Acts 13:2, 14:23) When questioned about why His disciples did not fast Jesus replied that they would fast once He left. (Matthew 9:15, Mark 2;20, Luke 5:34) So it seems to be a practice for modern day believers.
   One purpose of fasting is to humble ourselves, (Psalm 69:10 ESV) something we all need. Another possibility is an increase in spiritual power depending on your understanding of the inclusion of Mark 9:29 in the canon of Scripture. A third is to use the time ordinarily consumed in the preparation, eating and cleaning up after meals to seek the Lord in prayer.
     Having just finished a time of this, I believe that fasting is an act of faith similar to believing that the Holy Spirit can reveal the Word of God to us when we read the Bible, or that God listens and responds when we pray. There is nothing magical about it.
    The physical reality for me was a significant decline in my physical strength. (Normally I am healthy and vigorous) I slept far more poorly than usual. Many years ago I was able to do my regular work while fasting. Now, probably not. I experienced worse breath than usual which is probably a release of the toxins in the body. This did not improve over time.
     DISCLAIMER:  I am not saying that anyone should fast. That is between you and the Lord. And if you do for any extended time don't sit down to a full meal when you stop but return to eating very gradually. I drink juice to begin and progress to apple sauce and plain yogurt. I also think it would be more fruitful to fast with a group if you can find anyone willing to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment