Monday, September 2, 2013

Retreat (Retiro)

     God is faithful. While in northern Brazil I stayed at the home of a brother who is one of the leaders of a church there. He told me about a conference that he was planning to attend about an hour from where i live in the U. S. When I returned a few days ago I got in contact with him, and was able to attend the retreat yesterday. Here is what makes this remarkable. For three months I experienced Brazilian Christians living what the pages of the New Testament describe. I had told one brother that i wish that i could put this in a box and bring it back home with me. Well I discovered that God has already planted here in the state that i live in. This is an annual get together, of almost five hundred people, including many young people, from a number of different states. ( About half from my state) But it is not just Brazilians who have moved to the US. There were Spanish speaking Hispanics, and some North Americans. There was even a couple from Ghana. When I spoke to them I discovered that he was from the same ethnic group as I had visited six years ago. (Ghana has about twenty-five different groups, each with their own language.)
     What encourages me even more is that these people have received the kingdom of God, personal discipleship, submission to authority, and other very unpopular teachings which i believe the church in the US needs to receive. I found the same hospitality, generosity, fervency, and faithfulness to the Scripture that I had experienced in Brazil. God further blessed me by giving the opportunity for fellowship with several of the leaders of this church, some of the North Americans, and several other believers. I also had time with Marcos, the apostolic brother who lives in Brazil, and also the primary speaker for the retreat. Readers with good memories may recall several posts some months ago about a brother named Moises. Marcos, about my age, is his son. Together with another brother, he provides covering for a number of churches in Brazil and other countries.
    To find all of this almost in my backyard is a powerful encouragement for me. May God's will continue to be done. Let me pass on three questions that were posed to us.
How is your family? ( Spiritually and otherwise)
Who are your disciples? (Who are you actively, regularly helping to grow in Christ)
Who are you submitted to? (Are you a lone Ranger or are you accountable to mature believers)

No comments:

Post a Comment