Saturday, November 9, 2013

Requiem for a Movement

     In the spring of the year 2000, with fervent hopes and Biblical conviction, I departed from the traditional church structure, albeit from the best regular church that I had ever experienced in 25 years, into house churching. I spoke to anyone with whom i had any relationship but none were interested. In the fall, I had the privilege of participating in the 1st annual New England House Church Conference, and discovering that there were others who were going in the same direction.
     Thirteen years later, I have been an integral part of four of these groups, and known about twenty others in the region. I have met hundreds of house churching people, participated and/or organized many conferences and regional gatherings, and have given this my best shot. Most of the people who have tried this are no longer doing it and most of the groups have dissolved or are in crisis. Even the staunchest advocates are going in other directions.
     What happened? In the following synopsis I include myself. Most of us were wounded by either childhood issues, mistreatment or marginalization in the regular churches, real or perceived, or both. Despite the best efforts of many brothers, we had inadequate leadership. The groups were usually isolated, inward focused. We were independent, anarchic, and rebellious, reflecting American culture.
     While understanding that some people that i know will disagree with my assessment, I will offer a way forward. Submit to King Jesus to live in His Kingdom through personal, accountable, committed discipleship.

No comments:

Post a Comment