Thursday, November 27, 2014

Adventures in Brazil: Part 1

     Monday morning I arose at 6 in the morning to begin my third trip to Brazil. At 7 my faithful brother in Christ Sandy, loaded me into my truck, and we set off for the bus station. Arrived about forty minutes later and then waited for about the same length of time before the bus to Boston departed. Busses are certainly much better than they were thirty-five years ago, about the last time i used them.
     Had a one hour layover in Boston before boarding another bus and completing the first leg of my journey to the airport. receiving my boarding pass and going through security did not take long, and i waited several more hours before i could board the plane. This first leg was a short one to NYC. Actual flying time was about 45 minutes but we waited in the plane on the tarmac at least that long before we could depart.
    Arrived at JFK airport and found my way to the Brazilian airline which would take me on my way. Waited some more and then boarded this much larger plane for an approximate flying time of ten hours. Unfortunately at my height i cannot sleep on planes.
   Arrived in Rio de Janeiro, went through customs easily, and received my next boarding pass for the third leg to Porto Alegre, the largest city in the south of Brazil. Waited a few more hours, boarded the plane, and arrived in mid-afternoon. My good friend Samir greeted me, and took me to lunch. This was at a very common, popular type of buffet restaurant where the amount of food on your plate is weighed and you pay accordingly. Then we went to his house and greeted his wife and two young daughters. I was exhausted.
    That evening we went to the home of a brother named Paulo Cesar, and his wife Rosa, a middle-aged couple with three young adults children, all of whom i had met on my previous visit. We had Brazilian barbecue, and i was asked to share with about a dozen young adult believers. I spoke on the need to believe in and receive the love of God.
   The following day Samir and I made a brief visit to his fellow deacons, although in actuality they do the work of elders/pastors. Had a heartfelt reunion with these brothers. Then i returned to PC´, home. More food; Rosa loves to cook and serve. Then he and i took a walk around the neighborhood. He is blind, but has amazing ability to get around not only his home but also his entire neighborhood. He knew we would come to the next street, and told me about a pond before i could see it. Sure enougfh we saw it, and a turtle sunning itself on a rock. We also visited the home of a man named Mario, and PC knew exactly where it was.

   Samir arrived and took me to his house. Then Jimmy arrived and took me to his apartment. He is a very cheerful brother who gave me a ride in his vintage VW bug the last visit. Jimmy is the facilitator for a group of young adult believers. After they arrived he asked me to share the Word with them. My Portuguese is better but still insufficient for teaching but they had arranged for a brother who had lived in Australia to translate for me. Spoke about inspiration of the Word of God but took this out of the realm of theory by looking at real life examples. Am always amazed at the receptivity of the believers here. All paid rapt attention even though they had either worked or gone to school during the day.
   Today Samir and i took a walk to a park where we sang, prayed and read the Word together. Afterwards we went to a little meeting at the home of Moyses, an eighty-eight year old brother who acts about 20 years younger. Samir shared the Word from Matthew 24.
   Porto Alegre has a number of horse drawn carts which i have not seen in any other Brazilian city.

No comments:

Post a Comment