Monday, September 21, 2015

Back from Brazil

After an exhausting 24 hours of travel and waiting, arrived back home late Thursday afternoon, and soon went to sleep for the night. Friday is a blur in my mind although I remember grocery shopping, and talking to my discipler. Saturday morning arose early and went on an hour and a half jaunt through the country roads to speak to a men`s breakfast group at a church. Barry, my host, was very hospitable and gracious. We talked as the guys trickled in, ending with eight plus myself. we prayed, sang a couple of songs, and listened to a salvation testimony from a brother named Bob. Then I spoke for about fifteen minutes on the theme of discipleship from the perspective of two major themes introduced in Genesis 1; the kingdom, and being made in the image of God. Several of the brothers stayed afterwards. One gave a testimony of how he and his wife had been reconciled and remarried after being divorced for twenty-one years. Another asked me a question of how spiritual gifts fit into discipleship. Sunday was a busier day. After walking and praying in the morning, I went to a memorial service for the wife of a friend. There were about sixty present, from a number of churches. I saw a number of people that I know, including Bob from the day before. About twenty people gave testimonies of how Eileen had impacted their lives. Some had known her for a few months; others for decades. Unlike other similar services that I have attended, this one celebrated a life well lived for God. During the recption afterwards i had the opportunity to speak to a couple ( Wayne & Charlene) whom I know from house church days, and explain what God is doing with me recently. Returned to make a cameo appearance at the birthday party of the older daughter of the family with whom I have lived now for almost five years. Then I drove away to the gathering of my current church home. The students have returned from their summer break and the place was almost filled. Was a joy to greet and be welcomed by the pastors and their wives, and others returning from last year. There are also new Brazilian students. I met one from Brasilia which i had visited recently. Was in time for the first of a series on the gospel of John. Trying to get back into a routine. I had neglected my memory verses but will go through them all today, God willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment