Friday, September 18, 2015

Brazil 4:26

Monday night had dinner with friends in an upscale restaurant overlooking a lake. Fish is the specialty of the house, and we had something with a coconut covering. Tuesday I flew to Sao Paulo, and then Vitoria. Had about 24 hours in the latter city. My friend Marcos took me to a little park called Parque de Cebola because there is a prominent rock setting upon another which has the appearance of an onion. School children go there for recreation. The park has a walking trail, playing field, dance pavilion, and two ponds. The smaller one had little turtles who eagerly swam up to us figuring to receive food. The larger pond had ducks, swans, geese, a rooster, parrots, pheasants, and larger turtles. These lay close together on a large rock soaking in the sun. Sometimes I am like those turtles, watching life go by rather than living it. In late afternoon I began my 24 hour trek back home. About half of this is waiting; the other half is actual travel. On the first flight to Rio I sat in the very first row, which had a huge amount of leg room. Even the middle seat was empty. I spoke to a young guy in the aisle seat. He was taken to the US as a boy, but had returned to visit his grandfather. As it turned out he had the exact flights as me all the way to Boston. This was helpful in the Rio airport because my flight landed in one terminal, and my next flight was at the other end of the airport. All in all I had three flights, and one metro ride, one bus trip, and one car ride. Unfortunately I am too tall for the seats, and I was not able to sleep at all. By the time I got home I was a bit cranky. It is nice to speak, knowing that people understand me, and that I understand them. I am usually not certain of this in Brazil. My life here is so different than my life in Brazil. I am thankful for the opportunity to visit. God gave me a number of times to share or preach. He allowed me to interact with a number of people; to see old friends, and to make new ones. He also showed me how much more work He needs to do in my heart. This was humbling but necessary. So, good-bye Brazil. May the will of God determine my future, both there and here.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rick!

    It has been a long time since I we have spoken. You were on my mind just the other day and I felt like calling you. I did not, but did end up on here (I like to check up on your blog on occasion) and realized you would have been in Brazil anyway. I miss you Rick and hope that you are doing well and continually growing in His grace and His Word.

    God bless you,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete