Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Brazil 4:23

Arrived in Brasilia, the capital of Brazil a week ago. Stayed with friends who live near a park called Olhos d'agua, which has a 2 kilometer walking path that winds through woods and over several bridged streams. Used that several times. They like sorveterias (ice cream stores)and we went to several different ones. The one today is called Moka's. I asked the proprietor the origin of the name. He said it was the first syllable of his first name and that of his neighbor. Also went to a youth retreat over a 3 day weekend, which included Brazil's Independence Day. About eighty-five people participated. There were a number of workshops divided into three age groups, although I think the theme for each was the same. There were several general sessions. One was modeled after a talk show, with three different trios of leaders from the church responding to questions from the youth. A man i had spoken with earlier, who attends an English language church in the city, served as the moderator. The retreat was very painful for me. I knew very few people and my Portuguese is not fluent enough to receive more than thirty or forty percent of what is said. Brazilians are accustomed to much longer meetings; this drags on after awhile. God used the various difficulties to drive deeper into my heart. He reminded me that no good things dwells in me ( Romans 7:18), and that I have nothing of value to offer to Him or anyone else unless He gives it to me. I can have no expectations of anyone but Him. God is the only one who can truly meet my needs for attention, approval, and affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment